Saturday 7 February 2015

Money Is Not The Root Of All Evil

Money is a non living thing. It has no life. But the human heart is another thing. From the heart, greed grows & if left unchecked, becomes all consuming. How many people have been brought to ruin by their ceaseless desire to have more, more, more & even more? A little propels you to greater heights. But greed, like weed (if you will), grows quickly & relentlessly. It sucks all the good (nutrients) from you (grass) until there's nothing left. How much time & effort do you have to put in before you can pull the weeds out from their roots? Or do you simply give up & apply weed killer that kills even the grass? How many times do we get yet another chance to start all over again?

Looking at it in a positive light, setbacks build you up if you refuses to let it defeat you. Or in Buddhism, we say, thank you very much for this opportunity to "turn poison into medicine". Meaning, through our practice & faith, turn a setback around to build yourself up. Through everything, I found it in my heart to write this quote: "Blessed are those who can find humour in trying circumstances." For me to be able to say this, I think I have already gained much more than I've lost. To end, I'll quote from the Gosho: "Many people have plotted to undo you, but you have avoided their intrigues & emerged victorious. Should you lose your composure now & fall into their trap, you will be, as people say, like a boatman who rows his boat with all his might only to have it capsize just before he reaches the shore. (WND, 849)" The shore is in sight. Now is not the time to be giving up.

2 comments:

  1. IMHO, people who say "money is the root of all evil" has limited understanding of money and the human nature.

    For example, the story my farewell gift from my nursing colleges in Singapore.
    http://winkingdoll.blogspot.ca/2010/08/farewell-gift.html

    Keep faith, you will gain resilience from the challenges you face along the way and grow in appreciation of your good days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you that people need to find their own light. Me too, I find that I've let go ever since leaving Sg.

      Delete